Over 35 years’ experience, the seriousness of our English courses and the
fun way our experienced teachers are teaching English have earned us a
reputation which annually attracts more than 5,000 students from over
We have a wide choice of English courses to suit individual needs with
flexible course starting dates throughout the year. Most courses start every
Monday. You can improve your Business English in various fields such as finance,
law and marketing. You can opt for General English courses or focus on intensive
courses for exams such as TOEIC,TOEFL, Cambridge Exams or IELTS.
We have advanced technologies such as interactive whiteboards and online
learning tools, and WiFi in all our buildings to offer the latest tools to our
We offer a wide choice of student accommodation in flatshares or residences
and a network of over 500 host families all located within easy travelling
distance of our schools. We also run a programme of activities for our students
with daily outings and visits to the city’s main attractions (museums,
concerts, restaurants, parties …) and also travel throughout England during
General Course Information
- Starting day: most courses start on a Monday (Tuesday, when
Monday is a public holiday) and finish on a Friday. On your first day you may
miss one or more lessons because of the time needed to administer the entry
test, complete registration and travel to your Frances King School.
- Passport/ID card: all students are required to present
their passport/ID card on their first day and the school will retain
- Contact details: you are required to provide, and keep
up-to-date, your contact details in London and next of kin contact details in
your own country and any other changes of circumstance that would affect
- Minimum age: 16, except Club 8 Courses: age 22–26,
Family Adult Courses: age 21; Internship Programmes: age 18; London Teenager
Programmes: age 13; Family Junior Courses: age 8.
- Location and course: Frances King cannot guarantee a
particular course, timetable or Frances King School until you have finished the
entry test at the school. Every attempt will be made however to place you in the
school or course of your choice. In the event of insufficient enrolments for a
course, the school reserves the right to offer an alternative course of equal
value. Frances King reserves the right to change course programmes and locations
without prior notice in the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond our control
or if in the best interests of the school.
- Attendance: you are required to attend regularly and
- Progress meetings: from time to time you will have a short,
5 minute meeting with your teacher. About 20–30 minutes per week of class
time will be used for personal meetings, while the class carries on with work
set by the teacher.
- Student holidays: if you are on a course of more than
12 weeks, except examination preparation courses, you may take a holiday of two
weeks every 12 weeks without losing your course fee for this period, providing
one week’s notice is given. If you are staying in Frances King homestay
accommodation and wish to take a holiday, you must give one week’s notice to
To leave your luggage at the homestay during your holiday you must pay a £50
retainer/week. In all other accommodation, you will be charged the full weekly
rate during your holiday period and may leave your luggage in your room. If you
book a course of 12 weeks or more (and need a visa to enter the UK) you should
request extra weeks when applying for your visa, if you wish to take a holiday
either during or after your course.
- Semester and Academic Year Courses: 28 week programme:
4 weeks’ holiday, 36 and 42 week programme: 6 weeks’ holiday, 48 week
programme: 8 weeks’ holiday.
There is an extra 2 weeks’ holiday for those present from December 23,
2013 – January 6, 2014.
- One-to-One lessons: requests for a change to your timetable
must be made 48 hours in advance (during office hours, 9:00–17:00,
Monday – Friday). Payment for One-to-One lessons must be made at the time of
- Photography: sometimes Frances King or our representatives
take photographs and videos during our courses which may be used for promotional
purpose. Please advise us at the time of booking if you do not wish to appear in
any promotional material.
General Accommodation Information
- Arrival and departure: accommodation is booked from
Saturday-Saturday or Sunday-Sunday (7 nights). Apartments, Studios, Hotels can
be booked from other days, subject to availability.
- First and second choice of accommodation: please always
include a second choice of accommodation on the Enrolment Form. Where the first
choice of accommodation is not available we will book the second choice.
- Accommodation only: we are happy to organise accommodation
for people who do not study with us (subject to availability). Accommodation
only prices apply, inclusive of VAT.
- Arrival times: it is not always possible to arrive at
accommodation before 7:00 or after 22:00. Please check with us before making
- Location of Frances King accommodation: accommodation is
located in zones 1, 2 and 3 with an approximate travelling time of 10–55
minutes (or longer in the summer) by underground, mainline or bus. In July and
August, for late bookings (and with the agreement of students) we may also use
homestays in zone 4.
- Special diets: available for supplement of £30/week.
- Accommodation arrangements: in arranging accommodation
Frances King will be acting as agent for the supplier, as principal or a
sub-agent. The status of Frances King in relation to specific accommodation will
be explained on request.
Cancellation of courses and accommodation BEFORE arrival in the UK:
If you want to cancel your booking before starting your course or before
arrival in the UK you must give notice in writing. We will refund all fees minus
the £200 Course Deposit and £300 Accommodation Deposit. If the accommodation
fees for the notice period exceed £300 you will be charged the difference. This
also applies to students whose accommodation has been confirmed by the school
and have had their visa granted.
- Notice period to cancel accommodation is:
- 6 weeks’ notice: London Solutions Budget Apartments (A34-A35)
- 3 weeks’ notice: Mansion Chelsea Residence (A17-A19), London Solutions
- 2 weeks’ notice: Schafer House Residence (A33), Bowden Court Residence
(A20), The Residence Mini Studios (A21-A22),Southside/Eastside Residences
- 1 week’s notice: Homestays (A2-A14, B1-B12), Southside/Eastside
- 24 hours’ notice: Vancouver Studios (A23-A24), Hotels (A28-A29)
- In Apartments (A15-A16):
- 48’ hours notice is required for stays of 13 nights or less:
- 7 days’ notice for stays of 14 nights or more, otherwise a cancellation
fee will be charged of 1 night for stays of 1–7 nights or 3 nights for stays
of 7 nights or more.
Cancellation of courses and accommodation BEFORE arrival in the UK when a
student is refused a visa: if you want to cancel your booking before arrival in
the UK, you must send us a copy of your visa refusal letter issued by the
- All course fees will be refunded less an administration charge
- All accommodation fees will be refunded less an administration charge of
£100, provided notice to cancel accommodation is given.
- If you cancel your course and accommodation before arrival and have paid
your fees in full, all fees minus an administration charge of £100 for the
course and £100 for the accommodation, will be refunded, provided notice to
cancel accommodation is given. See notice period (above) to cancel
Cancellation of courses AFTER arrival in the UK: if you cancel or curtail
your course after arrival in the UK there is no refund in any
- If your course is longer than 4 weeks, you must give 4 weeks’ notice in
writing. Responses will be given in writing and discussions will not be entered
into. You may apply for a credit for the unused part of the course. There is no
credit for cancelled courses during the first 4 weeks of a course. The course
credit may be used within 2 years and cannot be transferred to another student.
Course credits may not be used to pay for One-to-One lessons or
- To cancel One-to-One courses you must give 1 weeks’ notice in writing.
You may apply for a credit for the unused part of the course. This may be used
as part-payment towards any Frances King course within 2 years.
- To cancel One-to-One lessons you must give 48 hours’ notice (during
office hours 9:00–17:00, Monday – Friday). All late cancellations are
charged at the full rate. If you leave because you are ill or because of the
death or serious illness of a close relative you may be able to claim
reimbursement of fees through your insurance.
Cancellation of accommodation AFTER arrival in the UK: if you cancel or
curtail your accommodation after arrival in the UK, you will be charged a £70
cancellation fee. You must give Frances King notice, beginning at a
- See notice period (above) to cancel accommodation
- Where notice is not received, accommodation fees for the above periods will
be added to the cancellation fee.
In case of non-arrival on booked dates, when the school has not
received notice of cancellation in advance, there will be no refund or credit of
course or accommodation fees.
Course and accommodation refunds may take between 30–60 days to
process. Refunds cannot be processed until the school has been paid in full for
all services booked. Refunds will only be made to the person or organisation
that paid in the first instance.
16 and 17 year old students
- Students age 16 and 17, study alongside adult students, with minimal
supervision outside class times. If closer supervision is required, we recommend
our London Teenager Programme.
- Students age 16 and 17, without a guardian in the UK, must stay with a
homestay. They must book an arrival airport transfer unless a guardian (over
21 years) is meeting them at the airport (see section 7).
- Students age 16 and 17 should carry a letter of consent to travel alone
and present it, if requested, on arrival in the UK. We will send a form letter
with the confirmation documents.
Complaints and Conduct
- Complaints: problems and complaints with courses,
accommodation and other services should be brought to our attention immediately
so that we can help. We do not accept complaints after your course has
- Conduct: Frances King reserves the right to cancel a
student’s course and accommodation in the event of misconduct or
unsatisfactory behaviour. Students will be responsible for all costs
Transfer Terms and Conditions
- Flight details must be received in writing before 14.00 (UK time) on the
Friday before arrival in the UK.
- To cancel or change an airport transfer you must inform us in writing
24 hours before the flight arrival or departure time or you will be charged for
the transfer. For last minute changes or cancellations, please phone
07768 325 391.
- A £25 supplement will be charged for an airport transfer service between
23.00–05.00. A supplement will also be charged for airport transfers on UK
public holidays (and during the Christmas period) – please ask for
- Waiting time of 1½ hours is included in the transfer price. If you do not
contact the driver within 1½ hours of the flight arrival time, the driver will
leave the airport and any request for a further transfer will be charged at the
full rate. Extra waiting time: £20 per ½ hour (transfer for 1–3 people) or
£40 (transfer for 4–7 people). Waiting time starts from the scheduled time of
arrival, unless the flight is early, in which case waiting time will start from
the actual flight arrival time.
- In London Solutions Flatshare (A25-A26) and Budget Apartment (A34-A35)
accommodation, the airport transfer is to the London Solutions office in
Kensington and not to the flatshare or apartment. A supplement will apply if
you request an extra transfer.
- Please read your Airport Transfer confirmation documents carefully before
departure for the UK, as they include important arrival information.
Frances King School of English is not liable in the event of the school being
unable to supply services to which it is contractually bound resulting from
causes outside the school’s control, such as, but not limited to, natural
disasters, labour disputes, government action, pandemics and the like. Refunds
will not be made in such circumstances.
Accreditations and Memberships
Accredited by: British Council
Member of: English UK, Quality English
UK Border Agency licensed sponsor under Tier 4 of the points-based system: Highly Trusted Sponsor (HTS)